Jordan S. Powell, one of the Founding Partners of Passen & Powell, has devoted his entire legal career to the representation of victims of negligence, including automobile accidents, medical malpractice, nursing home negligence, assisted living negligence, construction accidents, premises liability and pool drownings.
Jordan has received several honors for his work, including:
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin: 40 under 40 2012
- Illinois Super Lawyers: Rising Stars 2012 – present
- Emerging Lawyers by Leading Lawyers 2015 – present
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40 2016 – present
To learn more about what his colleagues say, please read Law Bulletin Publishing Company’s list of the 40 Attorneys Under Forty in Illinois.
Jordan earned his J.D. from Chicago-Kent College of Law where he focused his studies on developing a well-rounded litigation background, earning high honors in both trial advocacy and litigation technology courses. Prior to law school, Jordan attended the University of Michigan where he was on the dean’s list and graduated with academic distinction. While there, he earned two degrees: a B.A. in Political Science and a B.A. in Organizational Studies.
Outside of work, Jordan makes a conscious effort give back to the community. Jordan spent time in the Gulf Coast offering legal advice to victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and helping with the demolition of destroyed homes. Jordan also serves as a mentor as part of the Solo & Small Practice Incubator program at Chicago-Kent College of Law and as part of the mentor-mentee program through the Chicago Bar Association.
Additionally, Jordan is an active member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and both the Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group and Nursing Home Litigation Group of the American Association of Justice. He has been asked to speak to a number of groups including fellow lawyers, senior advocates and long-term care ombudsmen. Jordan volunteers at both Chicago-Kent College of Law and John Marshall Law School judging trial advocacy and moot court competitions.
Jordan was raised in West Bloomfield, MI, and attended Bloomfield Hills Andover High School, where his ambition, competitiveness and scholastic achievement were evident. He was a three-letter athlete and earned numerous scholar-athlete honors. Jordan lives with his wife, Greta Powell, also an attorney, and their daughter, in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago.
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2007
- B.A., University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 2004
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- Illinois, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2007
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Co-Chair of the Trial Practice Committee
- American Association for Justice
- Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group
- Nursing Home Litigation Group
Awards and Honors
- Illinois Super Lawyers: Rising Stars 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Emerging Lawyers by Leading Lawyers 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin: 40 under 40 2012
Select Presentations and Publications
- “Advice from a Trial Lawyer,” Illinois Chiropractic Society, March 26, 2019, Springfield, IL.
- Effective Negotiation Strategies, Chicago-Kent College of Law, January 15, 2019, Chicago, IL.
- “Deposition Strategies in Nursing Home Cases,” Lawline, April 2018, New York, NY.
- “Key Evidence in Illinois Nursing Home Cases,” Lawline, April 2018, New York, NY.
- Speaker and Moderator, “Technology in the Courtroom: Advice from the Bar and Bench,” Chicago Bar Association: Trial Practice Committee, January 4, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- Guest on “Aging Well in Chicago”, WNDZ 750, hosted by Jeff Bechar, “Spotting signs of Nursing Home Neglect,” November 18, 2017, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, “Trial – Tips from Experienced Litigators and New Illinois Pattern Jury Instructions,” Nursing Home & Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, February 6, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- “Getting the Judge to Admit Key Evidence, “AAJ Education’s Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar, November 2013, Las Vegas, NV.
- “Ethical Considerations in Nursing Home Cases,” ITLA Trial Journal, Summer 2013.
- “Private Causes of Action Against Nursing Homes: Hot Topics.” Annual Governor’s Conference on Aging, Chicago, December 13, 2012.
- “Weaving a Deposition Strategy,” Trial Magazine, December 2012.
- “Nursing Home Litigation,” National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys – Illinois Chapter, September 14, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- “Prosecuting Nursing Home Cases,” Chicago Bar Association Probate Practice Committee Meeting, July 19, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- “Developments in Nursing Home Cases,” Chicago Bar Association Tort Litigation Committee, “Tort Law: The New Legal World We Live In” March 3, 2011, Chicago, IL.